Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Fantasy files: Winding down

I have the 46th pick in my rookie draft. With pick 42, I took Denarius Moore of the Raiders. I now have Jacoby Ford and Denarius Moore, and Ford's already a home-run guy to start as a WR3. Here's my draft to date:

1.12: DeMarco Murray

2.06: Cam Newton

2.10: Bilal Powell

2.12: Vincent Brown

3.06: Jacquizz Rodgers

4.06: Taiwan Jones

5.06: Denarius Moore

5.10: Hmm

6.06: Double Hmm

I have not drafted any IDPs yet and the weakness of my team is on the defensive side of the ball. I'm in real trouble at DL because I'm losing Mario Williams. Perhaps MFL will grant me a stay since Williams will be a stand-up rusher on run downs and a 3-4 end on pass downs. I have to assume that he's moving on, which leaves me with Jason Babin, Charles Johnson, and Matt Shaughnessey. All three were free agent pickups. Even if Babin re-signs with the Titans, he's a one-year wonder and the team has a new defensive philosophy that may or may not feature his pass-rush skill set. Johnson and Shaughnessey are guys you hope to have as a DL3, a bye week fill in. I balance that with the fact that defensive ends rarely contribute as rookies. I'm probably better off taking a flier on a veteran. Also, my home-run pick Da'Quan Bowers went the pick before mine.

I have options at LB. With Mario Williams making the switch, I have him, James Harrison, and David Harris as starters. Let's forget that I had Barrett Ruud, Kirk Morrison and Lawrence Timmons at one point and got rid of them all for a pittance. Colin McCarthy is still on the board. So are Jonas Mouton, Casey Matthews, and Kelvin Sheppard. Heck, Missouri guy Aldon Smith is still out there. I feel like I can wait.

Other than Patrick Peterson, no one's taken a defensive back yet. Jaiquawn Jarrett and Quinton Carter are both possible top-ten guys at safety.

I've drafted four running backs and there still are great guys left. Stevan Ridley, Johnny White, Jamie Harper, Jordan Todman, Evan Royster and Allan Bradford are there. Damn. AT WR we still see Dwayne Harris, Niles Paul, Jerrel Jernigan, Jeremy Kerley and Ronald Johnson. Jordan Cameron and DJ Williams are tempting at TE.
I'm facing one player showdown that a lot of rookie drafters are seeing. I could take tight end Jordan Cameron or defensive end Cameron Jordan. Let my Cameron go.

I took my biggest need and selected Jaiquawn. I put Titans LB Colin McCarthy number one for my sixth-round predraft. The rest of my big list will fill out my pre-draft want list. We'll be up for auction time once this draft is over with tons of talent on the board. Since I had so many rookie picks, my roster is at the max of 60 so I will have to drop some ballast to pick up any more guys. I'm sure NFL veterans love being called fantasy ballast.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home