Saturday, October 04, 2008

Living with Losing

It's not fun to watch your team in the playoffs and see why most experts picked them to finish fourth in the AL Central. It's a station-to-station team that can't get the extra base. Defense is mediocre. While everyone in the Rays outfield is capable of playing center field, no one on the White Sox can. When it comes down to it, you can't calculate clutch until you get there.

When the Sox loaded the bases in the first inning and scored only two runs, I knew that wasn't going to be enough. When I TiVo'd the game and later accidently fast-forwarded to real time, it was 3-2 in the 8th. The Sox couldn't manufacture that run, and Buehrle was out of gas. Instead of needing one run to win, the Sox gave up three runs and the game was over. Offensively the team is built for the three-run homer or the double play. I didn't expect a deep playoff run, but I hoped that a veteran team might put some pressure on the playoff-newbie Rays. It didn't happen. John Danks can avoid the sweep on Sunday. It would be nice to get this series back to Tampa.

In an effort to get back into running, I found a new site that in theory would help me find new running paths near my home. I still have to learn how to use the site. Since my epic 5K, I've run probably three times.

ESPN did me a big favor by moving the Vandy/Auburn game to 6 p.m. to allow me to watch the Missouri game (aka fall asleep to) in its entirety. Woo hoo to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home