Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Geeks unite

How come I 'get' guys collecting sports jerseys, but I don't 'get' guys collecting sneakers, kicks, shoes? Maybe I've watched too many episodes of Sex and the City.

ESPN 2 focuses today on shoes, including a 'shoe bracket'. My athletic shoe purchasing requirements used to be price, then feel, then look. Yes, I'm a cheapskate who once purchased a replica Kellen Winslow powder blue Chargers jersey on ebay for nearly $100. I'm aware that the Chargers never wore the powder blue jersey while Kellen Winslow played there. It's pretty. Also he went to my alma mater, the University of Missouri. As far as I'm concerned, he has no son.

We're all geeks of some order. I work with people who are perfectly content arguing with complete strangers on a message board about why Peyton Manning should or should not be a number-one overall fantasy football draft pick. At my 'real' job one of my co-workers is about to retire and looks forward to spending more time quilting. Another co-worker breeds cats on the side. She takes the cats to shows almost every weekend and the ribbons that they win are a big deal to her. I'm just getting used to the idea of changing the litterbox.

When my wife wants to threaten me, in a joking manner or otherwise, what's the first prized possession of mine on the chopping block? Either my DVD collection or my jersey collection. While I probably could do without the Doug Christe jersey that my so-called friends made me wear at my bachelor party, I might get somewhat emotional if my Frank Thomas or Steve McNair jerseys were at risk. I even bought my wife a jersey, thinking that initiating her into the club would make my collection more safe. So far I've been unscathed.

In today's series finale the White Sox are nine outs away from going 9-0 against the Royals this year. I think that's ten games to go. Excellent. All five Sox runs today have scored with two outs. It's going to be sweet to get that 50th win against the Cubs this weekend. The winning streak is great but they need to step up against a crowd that will be packed with blue-clad Cubbers. Its' better than the usual site of empty blue seats.

5 Comments:

At 3:02 AM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Zach Law - nice blog. I was looking for Fantasy Football Draft sites, but I am glad I found your Geeks unite blog, because it is quite entertaining! I will come back and check it out! Off to find more Fantasy Football Draft blogs/sites... see ya and thanks!

 
At 8:06 PM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Zach Law - I was out searching for Fantasy Football Cheat Sheets related sites and stumbled across your blog. Geeks unite is not exactly what I was looking for, but I still stayed and sniffed around a bit! Nice site! I am off to find Fantasy Football Cheat Sheets related stuff, but I will stop by again soon! Keep up the good work!

 
At 5:05 PM EST, Blogger FantasyFootballHelpers.com said...

Dear Zach Law --- Nice blog! I was looking for Fantasy Football Rankings related info, but stopped for a minute when I found you blog! It is great! I am book-marking it and will come back! I haven't seem a blog quite like Geeks unite! Anyway great blog, but no Fantasy Football Rankings info here; I am out! Thanks...

 
At 1:45 PM EST, Blogger FantasyFootballHelpers.com said...

Hi there Zach Law, nice blog here! I am looking for Fantasy Football Cheat Sheets blogs, but yours stood out to me despite really having nothing to do with Fantasy Football Cheat Sheets stuff. Seems like a lot of people enjoy your Geeks unite blog and I will bookmark you! Thanks...

 
At 1:26 PM EST, Blogger FantasyFootballHelpers.com said...

Zach Law - nice blog. I was looking for Fantasy Football Rankings sites, but I am glad I found your Geeks unite blog, because it is quite entertaining! I will come back and check it out! Off to find more Fantasy Football Rankings blogs/sites... see ya and thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home