Friday, April 02, 2010

I'm a quitter

“Restlessness and discontent are the first necessities of progress.” Thomas Edison

“One-half of knowing what you want is knowing what you must give up before you get it.” Sidney Howard

I’m not playing fantasy baseball this year. Yes, my comment doesn’t match up with the above quotes. It’s the best that I can do. I have played fantasy baseball for at least a decade, and ran my own league for seven. It was a lot of fun. I enjoyed competing and I particularly enjoyed that my leaguemates would pay attention less and less as the season progressed, allowing me to be a playoff team every year but one.

The lack of participation led to restlessness. If I was in a league of zealots, that would be more competitive and I would need to spend more of my time researching stats. I would have to treat baseball the way the NFL is these days. It would become a year-round endeavor.

It requires a lot of work to maintain a fantasy baseball team. If you’re allowed to make changes on a daily basis, you’re looking at it every day. You’re reading articles on players and listening to podcasts. It’s an underrated resource drain.
That’s one reason why I’m quitting. Over the next few months I’m going to become more literate about my finances. That’s the main goal. It’s a scary time to invest, but it’s also a time of great opportunity. Just because the country’s struggling and we have less cash to spend doesn’t mean that people have forgotten how to innovate and take risks. I’m going to see if some of my fantasy researching skills might help me in the investment game.

If I win this one, I get more than a virtual trophy.

Oh yeah, I’m not quitting fantasy football. A man has his limits.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home